Thursday, March 22, 2012

Claire's Birthday!

It has taken me so long to write our Claire's birth story that I do not think i can remember everything! So sad! Anyways, I was scheduled to be induced march 22, 5 days before my due date.  I was hoping that if i was induced early Claire would for sure be smaller than Preston. ;-P  (After I had Preston I was pretty sore for a long time and have had back problems because of the delivery/epidural.)  But of course when you make plans the baby makes other plans lol  On the morning of the 21st i started having contractions,  i just ignored them because the next morning i was to be induced.  Also the 21st was the day i had planned on cleaning so when i got home from the hospital everything would be clean and perfect.  I also really didn't want Davin to miss anymore school then was necessary.  But as the day wore on the contractions were getting more painful and more consistent.  At around noon I called my cousin Rachel to see if she could watch Preston if Davin took me to the hospital.  She said that she could until 330 because she had work.  I figured that would be plenty of time because i was pretty certain that the hospital staff would just give me a shot of morphine and send me home.  At the time i didn't think the contractions were doing much...but they were getting quite painful.
     Since Davin was at school (BYU)  and Rachel lived on campus Rachel was kind enough to pick Davin up on her way to our apartment so he didn't have to ride his bike.(and take forever lol)  Then Davin and I were off to the hospital.  I did bring my hospital bag but when we got to the hospital I told Davin that i wanted to leave it in the car so i didn't look dumb when they sent us home.  haha  Once we got put in the triage room and i was checked I was dilated to a 3 and the day before i had had an appointment and I was at a 2 so i had made some progress.  After that the nurse has you monitored for an hour and then they check you again and if you haven't dilated in that hour you are sent home (for the most part) because you aren't in "active" labor.  I figured after the hour i wouldn't be dilated more and so i would get a shot of morphine and sent home to sleep til my scheduled induction in the morning.  (with Preston I went to the hospital a few days early too and was sent home after i got a morphine shot...which helped me sleep and was great)  Anyways after the hour i was checked again and even the nurse was surprised when said that i was a 4 and congrats...i was staying!  The nurse told me that there were 3 other girls that had come in the past couple hours and everyone was sent home except for me.  yay!
    That is when I told Davin to get me my bags haha.  I also was kinda freaking out because it was about 2:30pm now and Rachel had to leave for work.  THANKFULLY my other cousin Sarah Oesterle was getting off of work around 3pm and was able to take over for Rachel.  (there is nothing like awesome family!!)  I was able to relax about Preston...well as much as I could and focus on me and the soon to be baby.  Once we were all settled in the Labor and Delivery room i asked the nurse around 3:30pm if/when the doctor would be in.  She told me that usually after clinic hours (5 pm) he would come by and break waters of the woman who are in labor (if they want) to help speed up the process.  Then it was getting closer to 4 and I was thinking I might as well get my epidural started if the doctor will be breaking my water soon.  (once your water is broken the cushion is gone and well the contractions get very painful!! )
    The epidural was the part of labor/delivery i was most scared of because my first epidural was terrible!!  I couldn't feel anything and couldn't even move!  Thankfully this epidural was AMAZING!  I could still move and feel the contractions but it just dulled the pain to the point where i could even sleep.  Loved it!!  Then there was a shift change (I got a new nurse) an older and more wiser nurse at around 6 who informed me that my doctor was not coming to break my water that the doctor would come when it was time to deliver the baby or if someone else has a baby then he would stop in and break my water.  (throughout the night I was rooting for the other woman in labor to have a baby...so he would come and break my water, but i was the furthest one along. sadly)  This made me angry because i wouldn't have gotten the epidural so early had i known that!  I was only at a 4+ when i got the epidural.  At around 6pm I was at a 5....then at 8pm I was at a 5+.....this labor was taking FOREVER.  I was just about ready to try to break my own water.  I also felt so bad for my cousin Sarah who was not planning on sleeping over was stuck at our apartment with our sleeping toddler.  What an awesome cousin....she kept reassuring me that it was fine.  My first induction from start to finish was only 9 hours....i figured i would have had Claire by 8 pm but of course not! lol  By 8pm Davin told me to just try to sleep and relax.
    I did get to sleep which was nice but the nurse came in every hour to check me and by 10pm I was at 6 and so I asked if she could come in every 2 hours so I could sleep.  At midnight I was still a 6...i wanted to cry!! I was a 6 until around 5:30am I woke up and thought my water may have broken but decided to just go back to sleep until the nurse came to check me (which was supposed to happen at 6am)  When the nurse came in she told me that my water had broken and that i was a 9!! Finally!! I knew once my water broke i would go quickly (happened the first time that way too) They checked me again at 7am and i was complete and ready to have the baby!  I told the nurses that they better call the doctor because I wanted to have the baby before my scheduled induction time of 8 am lol  The doctor came in at 735am and 4 pushes later Claire was here at 7:43am!!  She was facing the ground and was tangled in her cord which is why they thought my labor was so long this time.  I was glad the doctor was able to turn Claire so her face didn't get so scrapped up from being turned the wrong way.  Claire had a bunch of black hair on her head and all over her body.  She also had long black eyelashes...but no eye brows haha.  She was perfect and healthy!  I kept telling the doctor that she seemed so small!  He told me that she was smaller than Preston was but still a good sized baby being 5 days early.  Claire Elizabeth Jarvinen was 8lbs 2 oz and 20 1/2 inches long!  My beautiful baby girl!!
In labor...lets have this baby already! haha



















When Davin took Claire back to have her bath I told him that she better come back in pink haha so she had a pink bow in her hair and a pink onesie. ;-P

Preston didn't want anything to do with Claire at first....or me for that matter...haha he was a little confused/nervous about everything
He was still sporting the scrapped up forehead from a couple days earlier

He kept looking at me holding the baby but wouldn't come over for a while.



The view of the mountains, from my room, was awesome!

Preston finally showed some interest in her haha






Preston hung out at my brother's place which is just blocks from the hospital.  This is Preston with Scarlett.



No comments:

Post a Comment